- Aug 22, 2013
- 0 Comment(s)
Why You Should Include Chia Seeds into Your Healthy Diet
Chia seeds may be tiny but they are a powerhouse of health giving properties. They are nutrient dense with antioxidants, protein, fibre, calcium, iron and zinc and amazingly are made up of 34% pure omega-3 oils. Emerging research suggests that as part of a healthy diet, including chia seeds may help improve cardiovascular risk factors such as lowering cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure.
According to Jess Ainscough, The Wellness Warrior, There are 13 Awesome Reasons to Eat Chia Seeds Every Day:
1. Chia is gluten free
2. It is super high in dietary fibre, making it great for digestion and healing digestion issues.
3. It contains 20% Omega 3 ALA, making it a super food for the brain and heart. Chia has eight times more Omega 3 than salmon!
4. It boasts 20% protein
5. The protein is a complete protein with all 8 essential amino acids
6. It is high in antioxidants (It has a four times higher ORAC value than blueberries)
7. Chia contains five times more calcium than milk
8. Chia contains seven times more vitamin C than oranges
9. It contains three times more iron than spinach
10. It contains twice the potassium content of banana
11. It is food for healthy skin, hair and nails
12. It has a positive impact balancing blood glucose levels (making it awesome for diabetics)
13. Chia makes a great egg replacement. Just combine with water to form a gel, and add it to recipes that call for egg.
How to Eat Chia Seeds and How Much Do I Need?
Chia seeds can be eaten raw or prepared in a number of dishes. Add it to breakfast cereals, salads and soups, add it to bread and muffin recipes. Sprinkle ground or whole chia seeds in your smoothie, on rice, chia puddings, yogurt or vegetables.
You can also get your daily fix of chia in our Slim Secrets Designer Cookies, WANTED Bars, Fitballs and in our new Daily Fibre Power Bar. Be sure to drink plenty of water as chia is very high in fiber. Nutritionists recommend one tablespoon of chia is consumed each day.
Chia seeds are versatile little suckers, that are jam-packed with so much goodness so make sure to get your daily dose!