Summer is on its way. I don’t know about you but I feel like it is time to really knuckle down and try to get our summer body back! My biggest weakness is eating after dinner so let’s discuss what we can do to try and manage this.
Does this pattern sound familiar to you:
You are not that hungry during the day, so you don’t eat very much. You may be so busy at work that you don’t take time to eat. You may not even notice the signals that your body is sending you.
Since it is easier to eat less during the day, you may do this intentionally if you over-ate the night before.
By mid-afternoon you start to feel a little tired and then the cravings start. You have to push through the afternoon, so you eat something to get you through it. This pattern continues throughout the evening. You may feel bored or anxious without the structure of the day’s events or you may just feel tired and overworked.
As one friend says “if I have work to do in the evening, I just eat my way through it”.
Here are some secrets to start changing this pattern:
1. Eat enough during the day, especially enough protein (Slim Secrets bars can help you with this). Don’t try to make up for overeating at night by not eating during the day, this only perpetuates the pattern.
2. Check in with yourself at regular intervals. Are you hungry? Listen out for your body signals.
3. Do not multitask while you eat. Do not sit at your desk – go to a different area so that you can relax and you won’t be tempted to accomplish anything else while you eat.
4. Make a plan for the evening if this is challenging for you. What can you do that would be fun for you? How can you change your routine? How can you relax without eating?
5. Make it your goal to be hungry in the morning. It’s hard to shift the pattern if you aren’t hungry during the day.
6. Shift the pattern gradually. You don’t have to do this all at once. Try eating less at night first and see if you can do this without feeling deprived.
This may take some time but it is a worthy goal, so be patient and let’s try stick to it together.