How to have fun at an event (when your on a diet!) – Melbourne Cup Edition
The Melbourne Cup is upon us and I’m sure many of you are putting together the few last minute touches to your outfits, as well as deciding what post-race parties you are going to attend! Racing season is a great time for socialising, however it can strike fear into the hearts of those that are currently watching their weight or on a diet (which could include a large portion of the female sector at any given time!) Thinking about the gauntlet of calories at these events can make even the healthiest eaters a bit nervous.
The trick is to conciously make a plan BEFORE you attend your events, so that you are not eating and drinking yourself into oblivion and undoing all that hard work you have been putting in at the gym over the past days or weeks. It doesn’t mean that you have to forgo all the fun and sit in the corner eating a stick of celery, however, with the right plan you can have a fabulous time and still fit into your dress at the end of the day!
1. When you are at home getting ready, try to drink at least a 1 litre bottle of water before you leave. This will ensure that you are hydrated before you see the first tray of champagne and wont be drinking just because you are thirsty!
2. If your event doesn’t involve a lunch or set menu, have a healthy snack or meal beforehand. For the same reasons as No 1, this will stop you from eating the whole tray of party snacks when you arrive because you are starving.
3. Think fresh and healthy, not oily and fatty when it comes to snacks. Look for the vegetable and fruit platters and steer clear of anything that has been deep fried, crumbed, battered or covered in sauces! Protein sauces such as chicken and ham are great, as well as natural almonds, walnuts etc…
4. If you are drinking but want a low calorie option, stick to vodka, lime and soda or vodka with a diet mixer. Champagne, wine and beer are all high in calories and sugar and you know you will drink a lot of them!
5. Between each alcoholic beverage, have one glass of water. This will keep you hydrated and may even help to stop that hangover the next day.
6. Pop some Slim Secrets Wanted Under 100 Calories bars in your clutch or purse. They are the perfect size for event snacking and the best option when you are waiting for a taxi at the end of the day!
7. If you want to have one treat at the event, look for the most fabulous dessert on offer! Don’t pile your plate high – just choose one. Savour each bite and enjoy it!
Have fun at the carnival, enjoy your events and remember the plan!