Finding excuses not to exercise is easy. Here are some ways to overcome common barriers with some creativity, flexibility and a different mindset:
Excuse: I don’t have time to exercise.
- Schedule exercise in your day as you would an appointment. If you wait to find time, it probably won’t happen.
- Turn off the TV. Free up time by watching one less program or do some form of exercise at every commercial break (sit ups, dips or anything else that can be done on the spot)
- Think activity rather than exercise. Mow the lawn; climb the stairs; park farther from your destination.
Excuse: I’m too old.
- It’s never too late to start. Even moderate physical activity, such as walking or raking leaves, can help prevent or delay age- associated conditions such as heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure.
Excuse: I’m too tired to exercise.
- Realize that exercising increases energy. You may be tired because you’re not exercising, or not getting enough sleep. Go to bed earlier.
- Be prepared. Have workout clothes ready on top of the dresser. Keep a bottle of water in the refrigerator. Simple shortcuts may make it easier to see plans through.
- Make lunchtime count. Keep a pair of walking shoes at your desk and take a brisk walk during your lunch break.
Excuse: I’m self-conscious about how I look when I exercise.
- Others probably feel the same way. Remind yourself what a great favour you are doing for your health.
- Go solo at first. As you become healthier and more at ease, you may feel confident enough to exercise with others. There are some simple and great exercise videos out there that you can do at home.
Excuse: I’m not overweight, so I don’t need to exercise.
- Being thin doesn’t necessarily mean you’re fit. Although a healthy weight is important, it’s also important to get regular exercise.
Excuse: I can’t exercise because I have a chronic health condition.
- This is valid only if your doctor has told you not to exercise. Physical exercise can help manage symptoms of many chronic conditions.
And as always, please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.